Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Letter to Dat Family, Plus Other People Who are Quite Chill, Too


Soooooo, this week has been super solid. And it went by super fast. It's good to know that when they told us things would speed up they weren't lying :) we only got 4 weeks left from this past monday. Which is gonna come by quick! I'm so stoked, its gonna be awesome. I've been learning alot more thai (of course) to the point where we are able to go into our fake investigator lessons with nothing but a Book of Mormon. and a note pad to write down words we want to know. Its cool because I've never been able to speak another language this well. German was nothing compared to how well I know thai. Which is cool because I know I still suck, bad. So when I am actually fluent, that will be a good day.
So, also some cool stuff happened this week. I was able to give Sister Black a blessing. She was having extreme pains from a surgery she had before she came here. Her doctor said that there would probably be pain, but it was to the point where she was on the floor crying. Me and my companion Elder Bassett came in and found her like that with her companions trying to help here. So right then and there we gave her a blessing. Afterward she felt better. She was able to walk to the front desk, where we talked to a doctor there. All they did was "prescribe" her some ibuprofen... which is pretty stupid, cuz thats what we all take all the friking time. But then later, that evening, she said the pain was totally gone. She had had constant pain for over a month. and that was the first time that it was gone. The only explanation is because of the priesthood blessing she received. This shows the truthfulness of the power of the priesthood which is power from God our Eternal Father.
That was a really cool experience for me. But also, I love to be able to have time set aside to read in the Book of Mormon every day. I've never had the chance to read it and study it like I do now. Or rather, I never gave myself the chance. Because I decided I was too busy with other things. But every time I read it, I can feel the truthfulness of it. It reminds me of a talk Elder Holland gave where he said ,
"Nevermind that their wives were to be widows, that their simple band of followers were to leave trails of blood in the snow" this is talking about Joseph Smith, "never mind all that. Would Joseph and Hyrum smith lay down their lives for some ficticious made up book? some blasphemy that they created? They Would Not Do That. They would not do that. They did this because what they believed in was true". 
They had gained this knowledge from their most high God, and there was no way they would ever deny it, even to the extent of sealing their testimony with their own blood.
Elder Holland is a pretty cool dude. Especially when he gave his talk on anxiety and depression in the last fall General Conference.
So, I'm doing really well here. I am so happy. and there is no place I'd rather be, because well, this is what the Lord wants me to be doing. I am happy. I know what I am doing is right. I love you all. Thanks for the support you give. I love getting letters from ya'll!

btw, my address is
Elder Mark Smith
Feb17 Thai-Ban Unit 35
2007 N 900 E
Provo UT, 84602
That's for you maren! and, if anyone else wants it :)
I hope you have a good week :)
I love you mom and dad.

Love, your son, Elder Mark Hamilton Smith.. Markie mark








1 comment:

  1. Amazing, awesome letter!! I am so impressed with you and when gramps wakes up and reads it he will be
    You guessed it, crying like a baby. That a good thing. People that cry, live longer. Don't be one of those people that think men don't cry. Good guys do. I'm sending the biggest hug. Love you so much. You will wow the world. Love, grandma Carol

    ReplyDelete