Monday, February 24, 2014

First Five Days in Thailand



We are a stone's throw from Laos. 


In Nong Khai Province

Alright. So, my p-days are on Monday! Which for you guys is Sunday. Which is super weird considering it is 12:00 pm here, and 10 at night for you guys. But on a different day! Yea, hopefully I will get used to it. (There's a 14 hours time difference.)

When we got to the airport it was really hot, but didn't seem as humid as I imagined it. The weather has actually been pretty nice. In the morning its like 60-70 and in the day its sunny and warm. I actually got sunburned a tiny bit after riding our bikes outside for hours trying to find a part to go contacting at. 

We are up in Nong Khai. Which is clear up next to Laos. The aparment we are in is crap, and the city is smaller, less people, but still seems to be huge and confusing. It's hard to find a lot of people at one place to be able to contact. and at the moment, we have zero investigators because the previous Elders' records were incorrect. So, we are starting from scratch.

Other than that it is ok here. It is true what they say, Thai food is really good. So I'm happy for that.

In our house apartment thing we have two bathrooms with toilets that are little bowls that you squat over then poop into. Afterwards you have to dump water on your product to make it flush. Luckily we have running water, but it's not sanitary. So, we have a water dispenser that we use for drinking water. I can send pictures of the place next week, but it is pretty bad. Luckily we have AC in our room and it works really well. I didn't think it would, so I turned it down all the way and woke up in the middle of the night freezing my butt off! So, I guess that was a pleasant suprise. I didn't think I was gonna have to deal with mosquitoes because the places in Bangkok seemed pretty nice. But the shack we are in has them, so we are gonna have to fix that. Cover the windows, and spray it out. I don't want to get any kind of sickness...

Otherwise things have been going... well, tough. This is harder than I thought it would be. Ha, imagine that! So yea. I will be ok though. They have good food here and... some of the people are nice. I just hope I can get over this initial phase where I don't know anything and I can't understand anyone.

Anyways, I'll email you next week! I hope you guys are having fun! Maybe pray for me or something. I think I could use the help. 
Love, Elder Smith


p.s. When you send mail you just send it to the mission office. We don't have individual addresses. Then the mission president gets the mail to use. So that means I'll probably get mail every transfer meeting when I go back to Bangkok which is a 10 hour bus ride--at least as long as I am here at the top of the country. But don't let that discourage you from sending it!
MTC--I didn't realize I was standing SOOO awkwardly.

Oh and also the money was from some random strangers who gave it to us in the airport. 
That was awesome because we were starving!

I'm in Bangkok!

No comments:

Post a Comment